Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Practicing scales. How do I remember all the notes of that scale on the guitar

General Chat
mused  
21 Sep 2010 17:07 | Quote
I can't seem to be able to remember all the noters of a scale (major scale). Whats the best way because the only way I can create anything with them is to just play them up and down normally?
JazzMaverick  
21 Sep 2010 19:26 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Major Scale and Modes Within

Scales and Arpeggios Practice

Arpeggios

Everytime you learn something, you should always try to apply it in your playing...

If you still can't remember it - to be blunt - it's simply because you can't be bothered... or you smoke too much ganja... either way... you need to be REALLY fond of this and confident. If it's not your ambition and you're not dedicated, then this might not be for you.

If you are then best of luck and keep asking as many questions as possible. :)
gx1327  
22 Sep 2010 10:45 | Quote
United States
memorization comes from repetition. write out the scales. use the order of the fifths. whole whole half w w w h. look for patterns.

i am more familiar with the sharps than the flats right now. but start at C

C D E F G A B

no sharps. the fifth note is G, so write G

G A B C D E F#

one sharp. the fifth note is D, so write D

D E F# G A B C#

two sharps. see the pattern? notice how the 7th note is always sharp. notice how F#, the single sharp from the G scale, is ALSO sharp in the D scale. this pattern continues with the A (5th of the D scale) scale

A B C# D E F# G#

F# and C# are both still sharp, and the 7th note is now sharp.

this continues through the sharps. the point is, if you know the order of the sharps (1st F#, 2nd C#, 3rd G#) you basically just need to know... B major has 5 sharps, so they're F#, C#, G#, D#, and A#

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.