Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

noise pollution

Technique
thatguitarguy  
24 Aug 2010 20:20 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
im new to this site and am looking for guidance. I need to know any way that i can practice keeping string noise to a minimum. any suggestions.
EMB5490  
24 Aug 2010 20:32 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
well it depends what your playing, slide you mute with your freetting hand and picking, however theres many ways to mute when your playing regularly...

What i do, i have a les paul, is rest the ball of my hand (bottom of the thumb part uk) on the bridge, and almost like lay my hands across (rest them aross the other strings) and pick, thus muting the strings your not playing, however its a comfort thing, i see people resting their hand through putting their pinky on the guitars body... honestly dont recomend it. I do the first one, and the longer you will play the more you will find a natural comfortable hand postion... Eventually its all about comfort and you will find a comfortble postion the longer you play.

However i find one thing about people now or everything is they look for the solution rather then the cause, although it eliminates the problem, it is often harder acchieved without knowing the cause (such as cancer... i wont even get into it)

Anyway what id do is 1) lower your distortion. I can tell you if you have string noise and use a lot of distortion you will have feedback, and noise. Play with less. It will only make you a better player, better tone, notice more mistakes so you can fix them. Esepcailly practice clean. or near clean.

Second cause is sloppy picking, whatd id do for that is practice a simple pentatonic scale up and down the fretboard and STRICKLY alternate pick each note. make sure you do this. Try not to hit other strings. Keep big hand motions minimal. The more big motions the sloppier the playing. Try to use your wrist rather then your entire arm. As jack black said "loosy goosy, grease up the hinges" dont be tight or uptight, loosy goosy and practice loose but accurate

HOpe that helped

Peace love Fuzz :)
thatguitarguy  
24 Aug 2010 22:04 | Quote
United States
thanks for the help but i think the problem is more with my left hand. when i switch strings i ring the string im switching from unintentionally. its not a big problem when its one string but when im playing a long line or arpeggio sweep its annoying.
EMB5490  
24 Aug 2010 22:17 | Quote
United States
ohh i see

Try to connect more with your left and right hand, if theyre not working together (if your timing between them is off) then your gonna have excess noise...

How do you pick with your right hand? because i strongly suggest the picking technique i mentioned.

With the left hand especially when i bend i put with the rest of my fingers, sometimes unintentionally...
thatguitarguy  
24 Aug 2010 22:24 | Quote
United States
ok thanks allot
EMB5490  
24 Aug 2010 22:31 | Quote
United States
yeah sorry if i couldnt help...
Domigan_Lefty  
26 Aug 2010 16:06 | Quote
United States
when you lift your fretting finger to mute the string, do you do it over the fret? if so youre getting harmonic notes, and try muting in the middle of the two frets

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.