Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

mixolydian blues scale

Music Theory
budsyremo  
1 May 2010 17:01 | Quote
i am a beginner and i am learning the blues scale. I recently came across the mixolydian mode.Now is there a mixolydian blues scale(mode) too or does it only exist for the major scale? Please give me some in depth details regarding this mode/scale.
what i learnt is that if you start playing the blues scale from it's fifth note u get it's mixolydian(correct me if i am wrong).
Pleasssseeee explain in the terms of formula(half step/whole step) of blues and mixolydian.

Admiral  
1 May 2010 19:36 | Quote
Germany
Lessons: 1
Ehm, it doesn't quite work like that i think. Looking at the pentatonic is a complete different thing than the other modes of the major scale. the pentatonic only has 5 notes to it, and therefore you couldnt for example play all 7 modes. I've never heard of the modes of the pentatonic scale or the blues scale. I don't think it would work.
gx1327  
2 May 2010 03:31 | Quote
United States
this is a good point that i haven't thought of before. i'm also learning scales and modes. i know the major scale, minor scale, i know the minor pentatonic, and the minor blues scale. but i never thoguht about applying the knowledge of "mode"s to any scale other than the major...
budsyremo  
2 May 2010 07:41 | Quote
thx for replying admiral and gx1327 . @ admiral if u would google mixolydian blues scale then you would find some results(although those results are not clear @ all). Agreed on the number of notes but the blues scale has atleast 6 notes so it should be there for atleast 6 notes. There gotta be something??!!!
Admiral  
2 May 2010 08:07 | Quote
Germany
its an interesting question i havent thought about it earlier, so thank you first of all!
Other scales do have modes like the harmonic minor:

http://www.guitar-dreams.com/guitarlessons-req-view_fulllesson-lessonid-19.html

i looked up on the results of the mixolydian blues scale, and I got only a few results. I saw one which was called the myxolidian blues scale, but that was basically a made up scale by the writer and he was just adding the notes of A Mixoldyian with the A minor blues scale. He got quite a weird scale. The problem with this scale is, that you have a minor 3rd and a major third, which basically sounds very odd. myxolidian is a major scale and often used to play over rock tunes whereas the minor pentatonic and blues scale are minor scales. There probably are modes of the pentatonic scale, but i doubt than no one ever uses them because i guess that it would not make a difference in sound.

Does that answer your question?
Hope i could help
GuitarGeorge  
2 May 2010 10:18 | Quote
Licks: 3
I think you can create modes out of any scale, the blues scale is no exception.
budsyremo says:
what i learnt is that if you start playing the blues scale from it's fifth note u get it's mixolydian(correct me if i am wrong).
This is not 100% true. The mixolydian mode is built of the fifth of the major scale, which is the seventh of the minor scale. Since the blues scale is a minor scale you would start on it's seventh (not the seventh note, but the minor seventh) to get a mixolydian mode.

A thing to watch is that the blues scale basically is a minor pentatonic with an added flatted fifth, and it's that flatted fifth that gives it the special blues flavour. However, if you create a mixolydian mode of the blues scale, the added flatted fifth would change into a flatted sixth, which maybe isn't that cool. So if you want a mixolydian blues scale, maybe you should start of with an mixolydian pentatonic, and then add a flatted fifth?

Example: You want an "F mixylodian blues scale" (that scale name is probably not correct because, like Admiral said there's another scale which mixes the mixolydian mode and the blues scale). The F mixolydian pentatonic has the same notes as the G minor pentatonic. F, G, Bb, C, D. Add the flatted fifth of the F; B. What you get is this: F, G, Bb, B, C, D.
Schecter_player  
2 May 2010 10:20 | Quote
Canada
The modes of the pentatonic scale work exactly like the modes of the major scale. (except there is only 5)I don't really use them all the often. Major and minor are the really important ones. but there is the pentatonic neutral (dominant) which is made from the (1,2,4,5,b7) and the pentatonic neutral (not dominant, major six) (1,2,4,5,6). and i guess there is another minor one. (1,b3,4,b6,b7)

So anyway, true, they aren't used all the time. but they're there!

edit: adding onto guitar george here... using the mixolydian (or b7 of the minor pent scale) gets you that funny pentatonic neutral dominant. adding that blues note in there gets you a 7 (not flat!) which isn't really in the spitit of the mixolydian mode (which has emphasis on the b7)
telecrater  
2 May 2010 10:30 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
If I recall correctly the blues scale has a flat 3rd and a flat 5th. I would not see why you could not take the Mixoldyian mode and just flatten the 3rd and 5th. I also think that you way end up with a scale with too many notes and that in the end there would be to much dissonance.

in the end if you have a progression your playing based on Mixolydian over playing a flat 3rd or flat 5th may sound good.

Rules like guitar strings are meant to be bent and sometimes broken...

budsyremo  
2 May 2010 14:40 | Quote
Admiral  
2 May 2010 15:03 | Quote
Germany
try this: http://everything2.com/title/Five+modes+of+minor+pentatonic+for+guitar

a video lesson??? ^^ that would make..50$ ^^

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.