Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

How to play funk

Technique
Musical_Magic  
28 Dec 2009 20:35 | Quote
United States
Any guides, tips? I know its about palm muting and scratching on the strings, but i need more info.

Thanks - M&M (Thanks phip for the name abbriviation)
Empirism  
29 Dec 2009 11:00 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Well, I think rhythm is most important thing in funk, I think you should study funk rhythms.

Also in Funk theres a plenty of 6th, 7th's and 9th's. I think almost every scale works on funk, but dorian is cool mode to start with.

Since im so fancy to girl guitarists, I throw next vid, theres a plenty of nice licks to experiment with... studies studies...

Musical_Magic  
29 Dec 2009 12:53 | Quote
United States
Alright, can you give me some amp settings?

Empirism  
1 Jan 2010 12:28 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Hmm, Boosting or lowering the lows are bit matter of taste. You may try lower lows and boost up mids between around 1k to 2k. Its hard to say, cuz its pretty much matter of taste and style what you play.

Use compressor and try lighter gauges of strings. I dont recommend using distortion, a fair amount of overdrive could be cool... but Im more for the pretty clean sound when it comes to funk. Also using compressor is a bit matter of taste, without it you may get more sensible touch to make it more groovy, but compressor makes it little easier and stiffier.

Hope this helps a bit.
Empirism

Musical_Magic  
2 Jan 2010 19:28 | Quote
United States
Cool, Thank you, I'll try to post a vid of my playing..Once i get a video camera

Now lets wait for someone else to give a tip that i probably haven't heard of, Shall we?
Domigan_Lefty  
2 Jan 2010 21:24 | Quote
United States
Have fun and play it how you like it. The two most important things of guitar.
Aside from the guitar itself

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.