Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

question about diatonic 9 chords

Technique
guitarmastergod  
21 Nov 2009 21:09 | Quote
Canada
what is the diatonic 9 chord for the phygian mode and locrian mode?

would the phrygian arpeggio/chord be minor 7 flat 9?

im not sure about the locrian arpeggios though, could it be min9 flat 5?
Afro_Raven  
22 Nov 2009 03:23 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 1
Both modes use b9 intervals, seeing as it's only a semitone from the root to the 2nd. That's one of the reasons why locrian is so unstable harmonically, it can only be incorporated into a select few situations.

That is, if you're going for a harmonic and tonal sound; if not, let the flat 9s roll!!

Afro
RA  
26 Nov 2009 00:17 | Quote
United States
i going to one step father and write it out.

Phrygian-1,b2,b3,4,5,b6,b7

locrian-1,b2,b3,4,b5,b6,b7

now you should memorize this(steps of modes) if you haven't already. Also know harmony is built on thirds so the harmony is

Phrygain(harmony)-1,b3,5,b7,b9,11,b13

locrian(harmony-1,b3,b5,b7,b9,11,b13

know if you know how to built/the steps chords you know you can take and chose what you want and i don't have to bring up sus/adds/6vs13

@raven a few select situations???? That's like saying diminished chords don't exist or Ionian only used for a few selected situations just the major chords. granted i will admit i don't used the locrian that much use a mode of melodic minor(when I'm thinking modes), but it can fit into more then just a few places. Through i think we ran into this before where you tend to come at things in a more classical mind frame and i guess(i know) there is nothing wrong with that. but i don't know if you where saying this but dissonances dose not mean atonal. All Tonal means that is has a key are you implying that, let's say flamenco is atonal?

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.