Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

calling gibson players

Instruments and Gear
dsesh  
2 Nov 2009 04:00 | Quote
United States
Is this a fair while trade

my 2001 gibson sg standard with hardcase vs. his 1997 black Gibson Les Paul Studio with 490R and 498T pickups

I know its all about how you feel about the guitar and I have guitars that will stay forever but alot need to be sold or traded for others. I just want a fairly fair trade.

deefa  
2 Nov 2009 05:30 | Quote
United Kingdom
I've had a LP studio and it was no better than a top of the range Epiphone. If you've got a genuine Gibson SG standard it should be better than the Studio hands down!
fender_bender  
2 Nov 2009 08:55 | Quote
United States
doesn't it go Special - studio - Standard with standard being the better?
In brand new guitars. Gibson SG standard is $1199. LP studio is $1319. These are new mind you. I might make that trade if I really liked the LP.
deefa  
2 Nov 2009 09:29 | Quote
United Kingdom
@ Fender
It doesn't quite work that way, production costs on a LP are higher than an SG because of the LP's curved top.
An SG Standard '61 re-issue in the UK costs about £1150. An LP standard costs about £2000 more, but you can pick up a studio for under £1000.
These are all new prices.
fender_bender  
2 Nov 2009 09:59 | Quote
United States
He is talking about an SG standard though. Not a '61 re-issue.

Edit: The LP Studio 'faded' is $800. The 'real' LP studio is $1319. The prices are close enough between the lp studio vs. the sg standard to not really matter to me. I'd base this decision on which guitar I like the best.
Domigan_Lefty  
2 Nov 2009 14:22 | Quote
United States
I would keep the SG. Its cooler lookin to me. Usually.

You can try it? pick the one thats more comfortable.
deefa  
3 Nov 2009 06:22 | Quote
United Kingdom
@ Fender
Fair comment. I made a bad example with the '61 re-issue, but the only major difference between the '61 RI and the 'normal' SG Standard is neck thickness. Otherwise playability is nigh on identical!
fender_bender  
3 Nov 2009 07:54 | Quote
United States
@ Deefa
Your comments are fair as well. I'm just making a counter point basically. To be honest, I have never owned a LP epiphone or gibson but I have owned 2 SGs, but if someone offered me a LP for my SG and I liked the lp better (sound, feel) I might go for it if the price range was close like this.
deefa  
3 Nov 2009 09:42 | Quote
United Kingdom
@ Fender
Many moons ago I traded my top of the range Epi LP Standard plus (£499) for a LP Studio 'Fireburst' (£999). Because I was quite ill at the time and incapable of giving the Fireburst a good workout, I purchased it on trust after all, it was a Gibson! Most expensive mistake I've ever made on a guitar purchase. I'd payed out a difference of £500 for a name. There was no discernible improvement in either playability, build quality or sound. The only thing I liked better about the 'Studio' was it's colour and it's gold hardware.
Maybe I'm wrong or perhaps I just got a really good Epi and a very poor 'Studio' but my experience leads me to believe the Standard SG will turn out to be the better guitar. Perhaps dsesh will have a better experience if he goes through with the trade. Lap of the gods I think.
Domigan_Lefty  
3 Nov 2009 14:09 | Quote
United States
@deefa.
The only real difference between a gibson and an Epiphone, is the name. Though most Epiphones have open humbucker pickups and dotted inlays, and most Gibson have closed pickups and Trapezoid inlays. some with gold hardware(but thats all cosmetic and can be put on later)
deefa  
4 Nov 2009 06:17 | Quote
United Kingdom
@ Dom

If the Epi in your avatar is your own, then the colour scheme is almost identical to my old Korean made Epi Standard plus (made in 2005) if I remember correctly. It had enlosed 'buckers' and Epiphone's own version of the Gibson trapezoid inlays. All of the hardware was in chrome including the machine heads (real Gibson's have the vomit green heads). I do so wish I'd kept it instead of buying the 'Studio'!

This one's a very close match.
fender_bender  
4 Nov 2009 09:58 | Quote
United States
My 1999 epiphone SG has the vomit green heads. Its a 're-issue' of some of the early 60's Les Paul Customs. It is also Korean. I hear the new Models of this guitar are made in China and they suck. The Korean made ones are actually pretty good and in 1999 the plant that made this guitar won some sort of award for quality. I paid around 200 for it. The Korean guitars are are some of the better 'cheap' guitars IMO.

deefa  
4 Nov 2009 17:15 | Quote
United Kingdom
@ Fender
Couldn't agree more about the quality of Korean copies. Second only to Japanese IMO. I tried to get a brand new Korean Tribute S-500 but had to settle for second hand. They've moved the plant to somewhere else in Indonesia (cheaper labour costs). Bad mistake I think!

This American G&L S-500 is identical to my Tribute (but about £800 more)
I played the 'genuine' article at a music shop in Leeds a couple of months back. I couldn't tell the difference myself but then, I'm not a guitar god!

Nice SG BTW. I saw one similar on ebay a few weeks back. I think it went for around £400.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.