Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Speed/Accuracy/scales/songs

Technique
EMB5490  
29 Aug 2008 21:25 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Licks: 1
hey now the reason y i made the title the way i did is b/c i want to get more speed in my playing, but i know to have tht u need accuracy, or ud be dragonforce... i know to have accuracy u need to know where to put ur fingers, which means scale knowledge, but since i cant stay focused for like 2 secs if somthings even remotly boring i need to learn it through a song...........so, does any1 kno ANY songs containing ANY of the pentatonic scales Besides the most comment one:

e--7-4-
b------7-4
g----------6-4
d--------------6-4
a------------------6-4
e----------------------7-4

and a song containing The major scale and any of its modes...dorian aeolian ect...and minor and modes so what would really help is

1)some 1 to post a lesson on what all those maj and minor i need those too, modes are and explain it and all
2)give me some songs to play with them.

also i guess the title is i want to learn to be fast, so first i need to be acccurate but first to be accurate i need to learn scales, but for me to learn scales i need to play them in the songs. like for example, i learn the inside aeolian scale by playing mr.crowley and the most commen pentatonic by playing....everything, so tht would help thnx.
baudelaire  
29 Aug 2008 22:38 | Quote
Brazil
i've never heard a great guitarist say that he didn't do a lot of scales; all the best guitarists say they did scales for hours every day. you need to reevaluate your goals. learning a instrument takes discipline, like learning a martial art or learning to operate on people. my advice: write on a sheet of paper, "30 MINUTES OF SCALES". tape it to your wall, and don't do ANYTHING with your guitar until you have done your scales, with a metronome.

as for the method, learn your major shapes, and learn which shapes are the minor form. 5 positions. learn them, and the root notes of the shapes, so that you can play in any major or minor key anywhere on the fretboard naturally. do the same with pentatonics; learn the 5 shapes and their roots, so you can improvise over chord changes naturally. and the key is repetition; if you have the time, i suggest that you work up to 1 hour of scales every day, with a metronome, increasing the tempo every ten minutes, and memorizing the scale patterns and roots the whole time. do a new scale every 2 minutes.

if you want to master the guitar, and someday be considered a great guitarist, you're going to have to decide, if you are willing to make the sacrifice, because THAT is what will separate you from all the losers.

and while we on the subject of what YOU should be doing, buy Elie Siegmeisters Harmony and Melody Volume I, and study it, take notes, and apply and master the ideas behind every chapter before you move on. you need to learn to read music, and being able to plink out things on a keyboard and sight sing will be important at some later date as well, when you get serious about composing. begin training your ear as well, with musictheory.com being a good interval trainer.
MEMORIZE the notes on the fretboard, so that you can pick them out as a reflex. when you hear the rhythm change to the tonic, and decide a V7sus4 is needed, you DON'T have time to count the notes up from the nut.

as for modes, they will be simple enough once you have major and natural minor down, because they are simply the same scale began on a different degree... for example, C D E F G A B C is C major, and A B C D E F G A is A aeolian (natural minor).
EMB5490  
29 Aug 2008 22:43 | Quote
United States
see thts only half the problem, its the same thing as skool... i may practice it every day for 30 mins even an hour, BUT it wont mean anything, ill quickly forget it and it will be reluctant practice, if i play it in a song, i can learn the song much much faster, the scale much faster and even some theory on how the guitarist made the part.

i have an extraodinaary musical ear, my dad is a piantist, outta the blue if u play one not to a song, i have the rest down. but, i cant read music, ive tryed for 4 or 5 years on the trombone, it never worked... o and btw whta would help is tht i can see aeolian is just a whole step above ionian, could some 1 make a lesson on tht where all it comes in, also i dont know the fretboard just how its sopposed to sound so i need the tabs for it not the notes.
baudelaire  
30 Aug 2008 11:38 | Quote
Brazil
i do not personally understand how to take the "just play a lot of songs and try to know everything by ear" route. i have, however, seen a lot of good guitarists get absolutely stonewalled at some point because they took that route in lieu of the route of education and discipline. i don't guess you'll take my advice, but i'm telling you... you'll be better off if you just motivate yourself, then go do it.

but what the hell, you're only 14, right? you have two or three years before you have to get serious, if you ever want to.
EMB5490  
30 Aug 2008 11:59 | Quote
United States
i never sayd just play a lot of songs by ear and try to know everything by ear, what i mean is tell me the scales in the song, thts all, then i can figure the rest out with the help of my teacher, im not winging anything, i want to learn it, but its easyer, do u know any songs containing scales or not?
joe  
30 Aug 2008 12:39 | Quote
United Kingdom
if you already know the notes of the normal box position why not work out what the other ones are then write like riffs yourself to remember?? just an idea.

and no i dont know of any songs off the top of my head with other pentatonic shapes
EMB5490  
30 Aug 2008 13:10 | Quote
United States
like i know the pentatonic, ive played it i know it, so thts done, tht one commen shape, i know the others have know experiance wth them but havent memorized, the repition in songs just helps memorize it, what is the scale and key used in i don't know by ozzy? i think its gm aeolian but idk.
BodomBeachTerror  
30 Aug 2008 14:22 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
have u tried writing ur own solos?
EMB5490  
30 Aug 2008 14:53 | Quote
United States
ye...kind hard w/o know scales... still doesnt help tho, i have my reasons, but all i ask is for u guys to help me out on this thing.
les_paul  
30 Aug 2008 16:07 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 3
Licks: 2
The intro to I need you by skynyrd is in A minor pentatonic. Not sure about the rest I only worked out the intro. Not sure if that is what your looking for.
EMB5490  
30 Aug 2008 16:29 | Quote
United States
a minor pentatonic as in the commen kind? i have tht 1 memorized. acctually thts the only 1 i have memorized.
Veqq  
30 Aug 2008 21:56 | Quote
United States
Licks: 5
Dude... You have to memorize them at some point... Don't use a metronome, just move your fingers in the order as fast as possible on C major. And just do that well watching TV, after a day or 2 you won't remember it, but your fingers sure will. After that you can use a metronome and everything...

Alternatively, just remember the notes A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G#. Or better yet... Just remember that in between B-C and E-f there are no sharps/flats. Then just remember, C Major has non sharps or flats... Make solos and just count up the frets to see if that note is in the scale or not.

Either way you go, you will eventually remember C major, from that you can easily go to any other normal scale. But you must study scales at some point, every competent guitarist has. Hell, you could go the route Marty Friedman did, just play what ever sounds good, he made random scales that were easy to remember. So just make up your own at first and as time moves on it will be easier to remember others.
EMB5490  
30 Aug 2008 22:13 | Quote
United States
i dont have a tv in my room...when im playing a song, nothing distracts me. now for my next thing, to learn scales first u have to know them, is ther a lesson explaining the maj scales, min scales, pentatonic scales ect... as in the diff from one pentatonic to another, diff between aeolian and lynian and ionian ect and the shapes...thnx guys.
Veqq  
31 Aug 2008 00:53 | Quote
United States
http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

This is pretty much all you will need to know...
It's allot though...

But how it basiclly goes is, you start on a note. For example C.
And use the formula whole whole half whole whole whole half. Thats for the major scale(Ionian).

C D E F G A B C
W W H W W W H

The other modes just change the order. So for the Minor your would start on the 6th. Thus
W H W W H W W would be the order.
But it's not so much the notes you use that make the modes as much as the chords played under.

Simply though, after you figure out how to play any scale. Just more that shape up and down for other keys.

les_paul  
31 Aug 2008 01:19 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 3
check out this lesson by bodom it helped me alot.

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/lesson.php?id=23
EMB5490  
31 Aug 2008 09:37 | Quote
United States
i need the tabs i dont know the notes on the fretboard yet, its better if tabs then i can know the notes. thnx guys. kk i know all the maj scales now, what songs have them....please this really will help, aand not like fast thrash songs like slower more accurate, im talking solos...plz.
Veqq  
31 Aug 2008 14:12 | Quote
United States
Pretty much every song has the major scale... :P For the matter, everything pentatonic fits into the major scale.

So... Think of any solo, and it will fit in the Major scale. (Unless it's in something else...) I can't think of many songs that are not Really fast though... :(

EMB5490  
31 Aug 2008 14:42 | Quote
United States
well from what i remember u played faster then dragonforces faast forward machines on steroids. ye i reaized tht the pentatonic fits into it...kinda kool ehh? aany way i still need songs...bored to tears here, and also i like classic rock, not heavy or fast stuff, maybe tht helps, what scale is i dont know by ozzy and hotel californiaa on? i dont really need to practice the maj ive got the ionian, i need all the others...im trying to memorize them but it doesnt work, i neeeeeeeeeeeed a song, plz just give me songs.
Veqq  
31 Aug 2008 23:40 | Quote
United States
Well, the other modes are not so much diffrent scales as the chords played under. Try playing the C major scale with a C major chord. And then play it with a B diminished chord.

But... Hmm

Mixolydian-Hendrix 3rd Rock From the Sun
Sweet Child of mine has the verse in mixolydian too
Metallicas where ever I may roam is in Phygerian

Hotel Califronia is a difficult one... B minor would work the best but allot of stuff fits... They jump around a few scales and keys on diffrent chords... I could go more into detail on it if you want. An internet search would probablly be more thorough then me though. :P

I'm going to say that I don't know is in A dorian. The intro at least. The solo jumps around allot though. Or sounds like it at least, I'll work on it.
RelaxedDude  
1 Sep 2008 00:03 | Quote
United States
Dude, could you seriously spend a little more time and use accual grammar, my head hurts from this forum

And I dont know any songs off the top of my head, but if I come across one I will let you know
EMB5490  
1 Sep 2008 07:30 | Quote
United States
ok. i should talk with normal grammer im going to school tomorrow... and veqq i mean the solos, i dont like to solo over stuff. ill check those songs out.
EMB5490  
1 Sep 2008 19:50 | Quote
United States
heres a vid of justin saanderco doing a lesson, can some 1 explain what each "position" in the vid is called, thnx.

and also pentatonic scales, i have the pentatonics memorized more then the maj.

Veqq  
2 Sep 2008 01:02 | Quote
United States
I love the tone of his Acoustic... :P

You know how there are different ways to play the pentatonic, depending on where the root is? And then they connect? The positions are just the different ways to play the scale in regards to your left hand position. Although, I've never seen some use the positions like that, it's normally like, Play the A thats in 5th position(first finger on 5th fret) so you'd be playing A on the E string 5th fret.
EMB5490  
2 Sep 2008 06:41 | Quote
United States
those lesons really helped, i now have the pentatonic down.
EMB5490  
2 Sep 2008 18:24 | Quote
United States
hey w8 isnt smoke on the water onb of the maj scales?!?! i mean the solo, could some 1 tell me which?

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.