Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

dead flowers

Technique
Tilikidis  
2 Apr 2008 11:25 | Quote
Canada
ok the osng dead flowers by the rolling stones appears to be in the key of D major. i wanted to add my own solo to it but i cant seem to find the right scale in the right key. can anyone figure this out and let me know how it works? i believe theres only 5 chords used in the entire song D A G Dsus2 and D sus4
Doz  
2 Apr 2008 12:00 | Quote
United Kingdom
So, use the D major scale? Those chords are in the key of D. You could also use... B minor, along with D majors modes.

You can't go go far wrong there so have a go and then get back to us.
Tilikidis  
2 Apr 2008 16:56 | Quote
Canada
duuh lol wtf was i thinking thanks doz oh one question though how did you know b minor would also work i wanna know that. cause i usually just stick to soloing in the key of a song. do you think you could explain that to me? thanks
Guitarslinger124  
2 Apr 2008 17:10 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
B minor (or B Aeolian) is the relative minor to D major.
Doz  
2 Apr 2008 18:24 | Quote
United Kingdom
Yeah, what GS said. The minor scale is a mode (from the 6th degree if I remember correctly) of the major scale. There are other modes, this happens to be the 6th one. So...

D E F G A B C
* ^

F G A B C D E
* ^

C D E F G A B
* ^

The asterix marks the kye, the arrow marks the relative minor. Just count 6 including the one you're on and the relative minor is the one you land on. It opens up the neck for you a bit.
Guitarslinger124  
2 Apr 2008 21:11 | Quote
United States
Doz...D major is: D E F# G A B C# (so the modes would be D Ionian, E Dorian, F# Phrygian, G Lydian A Mixolydian B Aeolian and C# Locrian).
and F major is: F G A Bb C D E...
Doz  
2 Apr 2008 21:14 | Quote
United Kingdom
Oh yeah, of course. I didn't put the sharps and flats in, but I didn't really think about that - I was just showing the sixth degree of the scale as simple as possible.

Now I look at it though I can imagine someone getting confused wondering if they don't have flats and sharps in or not. Sorry about that.
Guitarslinger124  
2 Apr 2008 21:18 | Quote
United States
its cool...just thought id clear that up for people.
Tilikidis  
2 Apr 2008 22:39 | Quote
Canada

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.