Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

How do i start learning

Beginners
bhaveshdesai1999  
22 Dec 2007 05:39 | Quote
Heyy strummers,
Am an absolute newbie to the guitar playing club.... I luv music and eventhough i havent had any experience of playing a guitar or any other instrument.. i hav always been digging to play a guitar.. so here i m.. hav bought a C40 Yamaha to begin with..and all ready to learn how to play...So how do u guys suggest should i start learning..? Where do i start....

Doz  
22 Dec 2007 06:43 | Quote
United Kingdom
Maybe you should look for a lesson online that goes through the basics. Try typing in google 'beginners guitar'.

But generally you'll be best off doing finger exercises, a few chords, the major and minor scale, a couple of *easy* songs and the basics of music theory.
Notim  
22 Dec 2007 10:09 | Quote
United States
I agree with Doz,it should be easy to find easy lesons online,and also remember nothing worth while comes easy.Its takes practice,practice,practice.
JustJeff  
22 Dec 2007 11:05 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
You got a nylon string? >.<

Well, I guess you can start out just like every other guitarist, but usually the nylons tend to hit more flamenco, classical, and instrumental guitar, which is a little different than your modern day rock star.

Learn how to hold the guitar. In your case, you might be more comfortable in a classical position than a normal position.

Standard position:
You can either keep both feet on the floor or cross your right leg. Lay your guitar on your right thigh.

Classical Position:
Find a something to put your left foot on that's about 6" - 1' above the ground. Place the guitar on your left thigh, and put your right thigh beneath the butt end of the guitar.

Now, I would suggest starting with the 3 major chords in G major: G, C, and D.

Their open chord structures are the following

G C D
E|--3----0----2-----|
B|--3----1----3-----|
G|--0----0----2-----|
D|--0----2----0-----|
A|--2----3----x-----|
E|--3----0----x-----|

G fingering:
Pinky on the high E string, ring(a) on the B string, index(i) on the A string, middle(m) on the low E string.

C fingering:
i on the B string, m on the D string, a on the A string

D fingering:
m on the high E string, a on the B string, i on the G string

x means don't play the string/mute the string

Just practice going through those chords. Make sure that you fret them near the fret bar and that each string comes out clean.

Good luck!

I taught myself to play guitar via the internet. It's a very valuable resource if yfou know what you are looking for. When you get passed some of the basics and need some websites for songs, tabs, sheet music, and advanced tutorials, just lay me a message and I'll help ya out.
GuitarBoy666  
22 Dec 2007 11:40 | Quote
Canada
To get your fingers working together, do the "1-2-3-4 Exercise" Here:

e|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|-1-2-3-4-|
B|---------|---------|---------|---------|-1-2-3-4-|---------|
G|---------|---------|---------|-1-2-3-4-|---------|---------|
D|---------|---------|-1-2-3-4-|---------|---------|---------|
A|---------|-1-2-3-4-|---------|---------|---------|---------|
E|-1-2-3-4-|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|
d u d u d u d u d u d u d u d u d u d u d u d u

*Remember to use ALL FOUR fingers, it will help to strengthen your fingers, especially the pinky.

*Try to use alternate picking, I put d's and u's for you (Down and Up) under the notes.

*I also saw this posted like yesterday by someone else here (Possibly Notim.)
JustJeff  
22 Dec 2007 12:29 | Quote
United States
You got a nylon string? >.<

Well, I guess you can start out just like every other guitarist, but usually the nylons tend to hit more flamenco, classical, and instrumental guitar, which is a little different than your modern day rock star.

Learn how to hold the guitar. In your case, you might be more comfortable in a classical position than a normal position.

Standard position:
You can either keep both feet on the floor or cross your right leg. Lay your guitar on your right thigh.

Classical Position:
Find a something to put your left foot on that's about 6" - 1' above the ground. Place the guitar on your left thigh, and put your right thigh beneath the butt end of the guitar.

Now, I would suggest starting with the 3 major chords in G major: G, C, and D.

Their open chord structures are the following

G C D
E|--3----0----2-----|
B|--3----1----3-----|
G|--0----0----2-----|
D|--0----2----0-----|
A|--2----3----x-----|
E|--3----0----x-----|

G fingering:
Pinky on the high E string, ring(a) on the B string, index(i) on the A string, middle(m) on the low E string.

C fingering:
i on the B string, m on the D string, a on the A string

D fingering:
m on the high E string, a on the B string, i on the G string

x means don't play the string/mute the string

Just practice going through those chords. Make sure that you fret them near the fret bar and that each string comes out clean.

Good luck!

I taught myself to play guitar via the internet. It's a very valuable resource if yfou know what you are looking for. When you get passed some of the basics and need some websites for songs, tabs, sheet music, and advanced tutorials, just lay me a message and I'll help ya out.
Doz  
22 Dec 2007 13:04 | Quote
United Kingdom
Why did you post that twice at different times?
Notim  
22 Dec 2007 13:31 | Quote
United States
Lol
GuitarBoy666  
22 Dec 2007 14:41 | Quote
Canada
Yeah why did you ? : /
Doz  
22 Dec 2007 15:28 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lol - why did you ask a question that'd already been asked? :D
GuitarBoy666  
22 Dec 2007 15:54 | Quote
Canada
Lol why is your name Doz ? :D
Doz  
22 Dec 2007 16:52 | Quote
United Kingdom
Because that's my nickname. That makes sense though...
JustJeff  
23 Dec 2007 01:41 | Quote
United States
that's weird... i didnt even realize it posted twice... i don't even remember posting it twice.

oh well :/
GuitarBoy666  
23 Dec 2007 10:27 | Quote
Canada
Maybe you went on another site and then hit the back button to here and it was Postdata ??

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.