Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Key Question

Music Theory
btimm  
15 Nov 2013 22:51 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
I am trying to figure out the key for a song I really like and just heard called "Circles" by Birds of Tokyo. The song is pretty chill. Anyways, it appears the chords are Bb Dmin C and Gsus4 - in that order.

Trying to figure it out myself, the only thing that makes any sense to me would be the key of Dmin. Bb didn't make sense to me, because it doesn't really major and aside from chord substitutions, I wouldn't think a Bb progression would have a C major chord, I thought it would be minor. With D minor, You have the appropriate chords for that scale/key or whatever, since the Gsus4 doesn't have a third (should be minor if I am right, but the lack of a third makes the chord okay?). Am I correct here in my thinking? Thanks.
MoshZilla1016  
16 Nov 2013 10:31 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 4
Licks: 19
Try playing an F Maj scale but accent the G(2nd scale degree) note or G Dorian how ever you want to look at it(they do this on the video=1:17). Whenever you see 2 Major chords a tone, or whole step, apart they are usually the IV and V chords of the key. In this case Bb and C are IV and V of F. Also you are right to say D min, this being the vi of F. Hope this helps.
btimm  
27 Nov 2013 21:56 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
Ah, thanks for the post Mosh. Makes sense now.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.