Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Recording and mixing.

Instruments and Gear
mattmurray  
21 Sep 2007 00:55 | Quote
United States
I want to record my music, with a decently professional-sounding end product...for not alot of money. Any suggestions for mic's, digital recorders, or mixing software??
Doz  
21 Sep 2007 11:54 | Quote
United Kingdom
Man, I wish I had a studio. I wouldn't ever be out of it... I might get a job to run alongside college and my other job (which is just Friday nights) to save up loads of money.

Would be good... sorry about the lack of an answer though. :D
mattmurray  
21 Sep 2007 14:29 | Quote
United States
I've been looking at this korg digital recorder online.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_korg_d3200_32track_digital_recording_studio?full_sku=103312005

Sounds like it's as good as it gets for a home studio...a bit pricey though.

I think I could plug my guitar right into it, and plug it right into my computer...and be able to listen to the effects I'm using in real time, which would be awesome.
Doz  
21 Sep 2007 14:42 | Quote
United Kingdom
Sounds good - and it's not incredibly expensive. I don't think... but then I don't know much about this stuff.
mattmurray  
22 Sep 2007 22:33 | Quote
United States
How about mic's, does anyone know what a good, relatively inexpensive mic would be?
Guitarslinger124  
23 Sep 2007 20:04 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
i got a studio...nothing fancy but it works....i just got some simple EMU hardware for my computer ($100-$200) and cakewalk along with some other software...all in all....not including my guitars and other equipment....i hardly spent $500 on my stuff and i got pretty good quality....
mattmurray  
23 Sep 2007 22:13 | Quote
United States
I heard you're music on that site you talked about in some other thread... I really liked the quality, that's exactly what I am shooting for. And "hardly $500" is exactly the kind of price I'm looking for as well.
Guitarslinger124  
24 Sep 2007 18:24 | Quote
United States
go for it then dude....and you can always get more stuff as you go along...im happy with what i got and you wont be disappointed either...
mattmurray  
24 Sep 2007 23:10 | Quote
United States
Guitarslinger124 says:
i got a studio...nothing fancy but it works....i just got some simple EMU hardware for my computer ($100-$200) and cakewalk along with some other software...all in all....not including my guitars and other equipment....i hardly spent $500 on my stuff and i got pretty good quality....

specifics on what emu hardware you use, or prefer, would be massively appreciated...also maybe explaination of how to use it....their website was confusing to me
Guitarslinger124  
25 Sep 2007 02:39 | Quote
United States
you should probably do some reading on which product will best suit your needs, but anyway...hehe...you wouldnt want the exact hardware im using because its a little out of date. the piece of hardware you are looking for is some kind of audio interface. follow this link: http://www.emu.com/products/welcome.asp?category=610
basically what this allows you to do, is plug your guitar or whatever instrument your playing, directly into your computer via the interface. most, if not all, of their newer hardware is USB, so your computer will have to have a USB port. basically what the interface does, is it makes your "sound" compatible with your computer, or gives you a way to get your "sound" into your computer. it's as simple as that. i dont now if this is the best product there is, but if oyu like my quality-this will be better.
once you have your interface hardware set up, you'll have install the interface software. again, this is simple to do and the product will most definitely come with instructions.
cakewalk is a very popular program to use, for the simple reason, even though it may not have all the bells and whistles that some other programs have (although i cant even begin to list all the things you can do with cakewalk), cakewalk is very easy to use. i would of course suggest that you buy the most recent version.
ok-lets say you're using both cakewalk and EMU. after you have all the software installed onto your computer, the only thing that there is left to do is makes sure you are using the right ports. that is to say that you just have to make sure that the input ports for your cakewalk program are the ones that are attached to your EMu hardware. again, you'll get instructions on how to do this with whatever product you decide this is the EMU hardware i would recommend: http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=610&subcategory=611&product=15185
this is external hardware (meaning it isnt actually in your computer) and it is therefore easier to use and has more features than the hardware that i am using. i am actually considering getting this for myself. as for your recording software, i would definitely recommend cakewalk, but im sure you can get demos of a few, so you can try 'em out and see what you like.
i hope i've helped! if oyu have any other questions feel free to ask.
mattmurray  
25 Sep 2007 14:21 | Quote
United States
that looks like a good idea, do you need an adapter to plug a guitar into it? im not seeing an input for it in the pictures...otherwise it's pretty cheap, and I already have alot of recording software, including cakewalk....this might be what I'll get
Guitarslinger124  
25 Sep 2007 15:19 | Quote
United States
let me explain. i'll use my recording rig as an example. i have my guitar, which is plugged into my POD 2.0-from there i have midi cables that connect to my EMU hardware and i have audio cables that connect to my midi hardware. fortunately for me, my POD as both left and right outputs and inputs. so i am always recording in stereo. however, lets say i were to not use my POD and use my normal amp for recording. i would use my effects loops inputs and outputs that are on the amp. the only problem is-you are now recording in mono, meaning there is no left and right...you'll probably only have right. but thats where your recording software comes into play-all you have to do is duplicate the track to the other side and bam! now you've got left and right sound.
again, read the instructions and makes sure its what you want. read reviews and research more than one product. the hardware is just an interface-its not an effects box or anything like that, it just gives you away to place existing audio and/or midi into your computer. this equipment isnt really for beginners...but if you think you can work with it then go for it. otherwise, i would suggest just getting an input/output jack for your computer, without all the extra stuff, and record via microphone.
mattmurray  
26 Sep 2007 22:17 | Quote
United States
i'll definitely read reviews and what not, look into it a bit more, but right now it looks like a major possibility, thanks a ton for the advice...i'll post back here with any future questions
Guitarslinger124  
26 Sep 2007 22:33 | Quote
United States
no problem at all...im glad i could help...
iqo_riffai  
7 Oct 2007 13:54 | Quote
France
i use fruity loops recording software its amazing a full virtual mixer with tons of effects nd equalizers its for a bit over $200 i guess..
nd ull need also some kind of adapter 2 connect ur guitar 2 the "line in" jack in ur pc..
ArGee  
9 Oct 2007 18:48 | Quote
Guitarslinger124 says:
let me explain. i'll use my recording rig as an example. i have my guitar, which is plugged into my POD 2.0-from there i have midi cables that connect to my EMU hardware and i have audio cables that connect to my midi hardware. fortunately for me, my POD as both left and right outputs and inputs. so i am always recording in stereo. however, lets say i were to not use my POD and use my normal amp for recording. i would use my effects loops inputs and outputs that are on the amp. the only problem is-you are now recording in mono, meaning there is no left and right...you'll probably only have right. but thats where your recording software comes into play-all you have to do is duplicate the track to the other side and bam! now you've got left and right sound.
again, read the instructions and makes sure its what you want. read reviews and research more than one product. the hardware is just an interface-its not an effects box or anything like that, it just gives you away to place existing audio and/or midi into your computer. this equipment isnt really for beginners...but if you think you can work with it then go for it. otherwise, i would suggest just getting an input/output jack for your computer, without all the extra stuff, and record via microphone.

thanks for explanation. really useful.
REDSTRAT  
25 Oct 2007 05:25 | Quote
United States
blackwolfrising  
8 Dec 2007 21:16 | Quote
United States
I know you probley already have one by now but if you want to keep it under 500 then you can get a used zoom 1608cd it is very good sound and it has most of the FX's you will need. I had one for a while it work very well. I got into pro tools with a mbox 2. I looked into more multitracks and liked the korg D32HD. It looked very good and I tested it out at Sweetwater music and it sounded very good. For about 300 to 400 you can get a H4 from zoom and it comes with Cube base se and it works very well also. The H4 is usb and you can plug your guitar or whatever you want though it and use the cube se software to record or make a cd. I love using the computer to record at my stuido and I use the H4 for on the road or going anywhere but the stuido.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.