Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

how to practise improvising

Suggestions
devilchild  
23 Aug 2012 05:45 | Quote
United Kingdom
I learn scales and loads of theory about chords and scales and modes and intervals etc. The answer is probably seems obvious,I know you can't learn how to improvise but how can i practise it? practise is the only way i can improve at it.
If i recorded a simple chord progression and just started playing what sounds good over it, would thathelp?
thatguitarguy  
23 Aug 2012 09:18 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
there are a ton of backing tracks on line (including right here in this forum). just pick one, find out what key its in, pick your scales and/or arpeggio's, listen to the backing track once or twice to get a feel for the timing and rhythm, then just go with what ever you feel while playing. It may not sound right the first time but keep at it.

I hope this helped.
RA  
23 Aug 2012 21:14 | Quote
United States
learn many many melodies, play the melody over and over to get a conscience (theoretical) and sub-conscience (feeling) understating of it. build off of it using knowledge of scales/chords and feel.

A solo melodic line, is not (should not be) a random progression of notes, but a progression of ideas and feelings based off a theme.

given time and practice the melodies will come to you, much better then just having a bunch of random/semi-random notes laying in front of you to chose from.

and with that I give you the best

RA  
23 Aug 2012 21:17 | Quote
United States
Then a I have to add Gilmore the other half of why Sun RA kicks ass and where a Get my screen name

if you have time check "when there is no SUN"
goldtop  
19 Sep 2012 17:58 | Quote
United States
Well yeah that would b the idea but another way/concept that is published in most scale books would be to practice the major scale in the open positions and closed positions.
Empirism  
19 Sep 2012 19:55 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
RA says:
A solo melodic line, is not (should not be) a random progression of notes, but a progression of ideas and feelings based off a theme.
!

ah, so good to see RA posting again. So well said, if you can apply this to jams or even just picking your guitar, it's probably best improvisation "practise"

if you improvise over backing track or a song, check earlier miles davis stuff, he listens, then he plays.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.