Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Intonation Problem

Instruments and Gear
supPuss  
19 Jul 2012 18:58 | Quote
hey guys my guitar [acoustic] has a big intonation problem, on two thinnest strings, i searched a bit about it but figured i should check here as well, any advice on how to go about this?

up to 5th fret its kinda tolerable but any chord higher then that sounds really annoying, the thinnest string is most f'ed-up, if you'd tune it to standard on 12th its almost a very sharp D#...

the [B] string is much less like that, [G] just slightly and others seem fine for now
tinyskateboard  
20 Jul 2012 12:05 | Quote
United States
Get a compensated saddle. If you are not interested in getting a 'setup' from a guitar tech, then a saddle that has notches in it to set your intonation may be the key.

What brand of guitar? And is it a classical or steel string?
Guitarslinger124  
20 Jul 2012 13:57 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
tinyskateboard says:
Get a compensated saddle.

+1

Acoustics are tricky business. You could try adjusting the curvature of the fret board via the truss rod, or do as tinyskateboard suggested. I had a similar problem in one of my acoustics- to solve it, I sanded down a thin sliver of plastic and slipped it under the bridge. Worked like a charm.
supPuss  
20 Jul 2012 17:54 | Quote

i'd rather not touch the neck, i'm not very good with repairing things and stuff, [don't know the word] just thought you people could offer some cool solutions. right now it seems i'd have to take it to the shop/service, i'd get this comp-saddle ofc...

i noticed browsing trough my shop's site they specify some 1/8" or 3/32" measures for these saddles, what do these refer to? important? maybe i should add i like thicker strings...
tinyskateboard  
23 Jul 2012 14:44 | Quote
United States
1. Much Thicker strings than what the guitar was made for? That could cause the intonation problems. A compensated saddle made for thinner strings would not fix all your promlems.
2. 1/8" or 3/32" That is the thickness of the slot in the bridge that the saddle goes into. You definately want it to fit right.
3. You want a cheap fix? Adjust the saddle you have yourself. Worst case scenario you have to get a new saddle for five bucks (compensated are more). Keep Reading.

So let's talk about your High E. If you are going flat as you go up the neck you want to sand the front of the saddle by that string until the point where the string hits the saddle moves slightly back towards the endpin of the guitar. Thats basically it. You should read all about it on a site like this: http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repair/acoustic-guitar/saddle.php

GO SLOW or you'll eff it all up. Do a little sanding and slip it back in the slot and bring at least that string up to pitch. Also experiment with tuning AT the 12th to double check. An acoustic will almost alvays have some fret out of tune.

Fanatics will re-tune their guitar to specific areas of the fretboard depending on what frets are most used in that song!!!

Every guitarist should know how to change their strings, adjust their pickups and intonate their guitar. Good luck.
supPuss  
25 Aug 2012 19:10 | Quote
ok first off, i didn't see your comment on this, i appreciate the tips! i dont know what "endpin" means but i think i get the idea: basically i would want to shorten very, very slightly the distance from the point where the string hits the saddle to the point where it "ends" [neck-wise]?

if it was going sharp i'd need a new saddle?

i solved the thing but i thought i was going crazy or something let me explain:

the high e + b + g were going flat i swear! i used a tuner online i really don't see how could i be wrong, then i took it to the shop, first thing the guy din't seem to notice this problem, in his account the only bad thing was some buzzing on a thicker string... second thing, he just changed the strings and the problem was fixed? wtf?! [im obv glad but i don't understand, it appears like i've imagined it or something but i know it wasn't so]

i don't know why this intonation problem occurred, i don't know what string set the guitar is designed for tbh...

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.