Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

jazz blues

Technique
coleman  
31 Dec 2010 04:21 | Quote
United States
i have a hard time making my solo sound jazzy. anyone know any good licks? or have advice about using passing/chord tones? i try to mix the mixolydian scales in there. i mostly have trouble on the more boppy tunes. i just can't make my solos sound jazzy.
MoshZilla1016  
31 Dec 2010 15:02 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 4
Licks: 19
Are you familiar with the Major blues scale? 1-2-b3-3-5-6
RA  
31 Dec 2010 22:24 | Quote
United States
first listen to Jazz songs, particularly the ones that are in blues (term being used as form, not genre)

**added note** so much of what is, "JAZZ", is completely indescribable with words (like most of music come to think about it). you can't even notate what is going on, notation completely fails at it. to "get it" you got to listen to a lot of jazz. And i mean the greats, not the "new Guys", don't go past B-bop, but I find the really early guys (even Dixie) really knew how to get around a melody and they played in blues a bit more. If it has to be a guitarist (i really recommended to learn sax lines) I'd look in Charlie Christian (hell, he's even got a blues on you-tube that's popular)

I'd look into T monk to start off, he is great, particularity the song, "Blue Monk"

Next you got to learn how to swing, that is where i find most people fail at being jazzy, it's all about the swing(It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that swing[I know I'm lame, good song though, listen to the DUKE!!]). The problem is, it's indescribable and you can't notate it. The best description I have found is you have to make the notes breathe

next it may help to play more extended chords (never anything with a b2[exceptions of course]), if your going to be playing minors over your majors (like most do) definitely play some #9 (learn the theory as to why[i ain't telling]). And in case you don't know the blues is base on the Mixolydian scale so only play dominate chords(exceptions of course). Also, do not think in scales, think in terms of chords and how to move in them out and into the next one (most of jazz is done this way also for future thoughts). Also as Joe Pass says, don't play in open positions so don't be keyed in E. I don't necessarily agree but it does help when trying get away from being bluesy (here being used as genre)

in terms of subs and passing things, Not enough space nor time. Listen (most important), learn songs from lead sheets, and transcribe. Also getting a book might not be a bad idea. If i remember correctly, there is a "Jazz Guitar" site (don't know URl but type it into Google), that basically copied the blues section out of "The Jazz theory Book" a few people from here go there so I'm sure they will know what I'm talking about.

***last comments*** while I don't necessarily hate "licks" I find them to be very detrimental to ones knowledge, especially when used the wrong way, which everyone I've seen does (very much the easy way out). At best, some who depends on licks becomes what i call "jigsaw guitarists," in that they have this bag of "licks" and then they just attempted to try to fit them to gather. What you need to do is study the chords and learn how they fit and move with them. Example end a line being played over a E7 on a G# which is a 7th (leading tone) to the A7. Or chill on a G them when the A7 comes up play a C# with it and you got a solid interval cementing in that A7 (I like the G to be lower)

this, "lick use" is probably another reason why you stay sounding bluesy (again genre)

hope that helps

**edit** I'm bored just watching TV so I looked up the site

http://www.jazzguitar.be/

---just click on lesson tab

here is what I was talking about, thought it was laid out better, must of changes somethings on account of plagiarism.

http://www.jazzguitar.be/jazz_blues_chord_progressions.html
MoshZilla1016  
1 Jan 2011 21:19 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 4
Licks: 19
Here are some lessons I came across a while back. May not be what you want but can't hurt to look..
http://www.jazclass.aust.com/lessons/jt/jt01.htm

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.