Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Harmonic minors chords

Music Theory
adelaideguitar  
16 Apr 2010 12:12 | Quote
Australia
Hey guys. Im currently trying to learn some A harmonic minor chords. eg: Amin, Bdim, Caug, Dmin, E7, Fmaj7, G#dim

Does anyone have any tips. Currently I dont like Caug, so I replaced that with Amin/C or Cmaj. I hate augmented chords :-(

For G#dim im playing F7/G# because I dont want to go up in pitch.

What im looking for is a set of 7 chords that are easy to play that give the harmonic minor sound.

Has anyone tried it without starting on A minor?
adelaideguitar  
16 Apr 2010 12:23 | Quote
Australia
So you know where Im at. Im playing with these chords:

Amin x02210
Bdim x23131
Caug x32210
Dmin xx0231 or x57765
E7 020100 or x79797
Fmaj7 133211 or x8a9a8
G#dim 420100 or xbcaca

Its sounding nice atm. Im just checking if im missing some better way of doing it.

PS: I just tried this for Caug and it sounds a bit better: x3213x

PS2: Sorry me again. For Caug im now playing x76555 which seem to work with strumming. Also makes it easy to get to the x57765 for D minor.
carlsnow  
16 Apr 2010 13:06 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
wellll
have ya tried moving he root (plain ole inversions) ?
there are (at least) a zillion ways to voice all above, but if ya hone me in on what ya want tonal (low/high etc) i'll work some new "plots"

what are you hunting exactly, beyond not wanting to raise pitch/avoiding Augs?

RAWK!
Cs

adelaideguitar  
16 Apr 2010 13:24 | Quote
Australia
Im trying to add the harmonic minor sound into my usual acoustic playing style. Its something Ive always wanted todo, but each time I looked into harmonic minor, the methods of playing the scale clashed completely with my natual playing style. (if that makes sence)

I think Ive almost got what im looking. I'll record it tommorrow.
carlsnow  
16 Apr 2010 13:57 | Quote
United States
cool. cant wait to hear it.

i'll be putting up a lesson (or I should say Phip will help my web-stooopid a*s) on its cousin, Melodic Minor, due to (other than to help folks) a similar situation i find myself in at times. well, lol, that and i'm just a freak fer mixing (of Maj) Lydian, with (Mel-Min) Lydian Aug and Lydian Sus ... great fun when ya let then run with Pent Slides and Mixo/Aeolian-licks , har! ;)

loved the last one so DO post pls

RAWK!
Cs

Global Disclaimer :
Carl Snow is an old, jaded & slightly bitter old man who cannot be held accountable for anything, much less his opinionatedly opinionated opinions or those of his imaginary friends. We sincerely apologize if this Carl Snow and/or its behavior have infected you or others with its ugly brain and its juices.
adelaideguitar  
16 Apr 2010 14:57 | Quote
Australia
This is kinda what I was im aiming for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbpjksSDISA

Its not overly "harmonic minor"-ish. Just enough to sound interesting.

So I guess the question is, is there another set of strum-able chords that gives a nice harmonic minor sound?
carlsnow  
18 Apr 2010 09:32 | Quote
United States
adelaideguitar says:
Its not overly "harmonic minor"-ish. Just enough to sound interesting.

i think yer on the right track.

seems to me the only way to affix that Harm/Min feel to what you are doing, would be through subtraction rather tan addition, Dig? .. lemme (try to lol) clarify muh point: its far easier to DROP a tone in the existing structure than to add a new tone or tonal structure, especially Harmonically(+Min). I'd start by flatting some 2's(or 9's!) and 3's as they , imo, propel the Harm/Min modes(+ chords).

hope that helped a lil

RAWK!
Cs

Global Disclaimer :
Carl Snow is an old, jaded & slightly bitter old man who cannot be held accountable for anything, much less his opinionatedly opinionated opinions or those of his imaginary friends. We sincerely apologize if this Carl Snow and/or its behavior have infected you or others with its ugly brain and its juices.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.