Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

question about keys need help

Music Theory
mused  
31 Jan 2010 19:19 | Quote
Since i cant seem to get an answer from Bodom I Was hoping somone else could help.
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/lesson.php?id=3

so for the charts in this link (its about keys view it first)

1. So if I want to find the key of something all i have to do is use the above chart and match the chords/notes?
2. Say for example i play all the notes in the key of A not chords. Is that still the same key?
3. Just so I don't have to use this chart whats the best way to remember this (should I just memorize everything on the chart)?
4. so if i find the key say i' m in the key of G I can use any scale that starts with the key of G ?
EMB5490  
31 Jan 2010 19:33 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Licks: 1
1. ehh kinda. it may work some of the time but not all the time depending on the song

2. im not sure i understand? notes make up chords. chords are made up of notes... ur saying you use the notes in thhe key of a but dont play chords in the key of a?

3. take theory classes in your school. learn the circle of fiths, eventually u memorize it.

4. you can use any mode in the key of g. like e minor. or a dorian. b phrygian...and so on. however it all depends what chords you play, where your tonal center is and where the chord changes are.
mused  
31 Jan 2010 21:08 | Quote
1. I think i now what you are saying And that is that yes you can find any key of a song with the chart but sometimes artists add other chords or notes

4. Let me reword this. Say if i want to improvise in a song and i know the key of the song (lets say G) can i use any scale that is in the same key as G
les_paul  
31 Jan 2010 21:17 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 3
Licks: 2
You should really study the circle of fifths. I have a circle of fifths chart hanging on the wall in my guitar room and I use it often.

There is a lesson on the circle of fifths on this site in the lessons section but I have found it only scratches the surface.

I have learned a lot more about it since I wrote that lesson I really should update it a bit.

I think it would be a good place to start.
EMB5490  
31 Jan 2010 22:20 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Licks: 1
1. well somtimes artists go out of key. they go by what sounds good and stuff. most of the time you can figure it out.

4. yeah definatly lets say its a diatonic progression in g, 1 4 5, that would be g c d. then you can solo using the ionian, lydian and mixo. i feel if i explain it anyfurther you would be lost so ill leave it at that.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.