Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Another Feedback Topic.

Technique
Ozzfan486  
12 Aug 2009 18:21 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
Okay, so I just got a new Fender Frontman 212R Amp yesterday. Getting it out of the car, I bumped it into something and put a pretty big gash in it. I'm going to try and get that fixed. What I' wondering about though is all the high pitched feedback I get when I play chords [yes chords specifically. Mainly on E and G major which use all strings]. It sounds like feedback and is very similar to the harmonic you get on the fourth fret with the high E string. Any way of fixing this?

Ozz
Phip  
12 Aug 2009 19:07 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
hmmm Ozzy,
My first question would be; did you play it before you transported it and (hopefully) it didn't have that feedback?
If it played "clean" before you took it home then you may well have dislodged something inside. you might even have put a small crack in the circuit board. this is a solid state amp (no tubes) so there is no chance you knocked a tube loose. If you bumped the grill, it's possible you damaged the speaker. Don't open it up because I doubt there is much for you to "see or do" in there. throw yourself on the mercy of the store and see if their tech will give you a free evaluation.
Phip
P.S.
100W.......ata boy!
Ozzfan486  
12 Aug 2009 19:14 | Quote
United States
Actually my friend/former guitar teacher said to come and let him have a look at it and he works in the local music shop. And I did play it at the shop and As far as I can remember it didn't do this. What would be the most liely thing to look at? I checked all the wires that are loose [as in not within the inner structure of the amp] and they were all pretty snug. Oh and how much force would there have to be applied to crack the circut board do you think? There was obviously enough of it to dismember the side of my amp into looking like a botched plastic surgery lol.
Phip  
13 Aug 2009 05:20 | Quote
United States
Gess Ozzy,
I feel really bad about this. you can answer this later but how did this little "accident" happen? First of all let your former teacher take a look at it. Meanwhile go back to the shop and plug into a new amp (same model) and make sure the problem does not exist on the new Frontman 212R's. This will tell you if there is an inherant problem with this model or if you actually screwed something up in your amp. Too bad you don't live nearby or I'd gladly take a look at it for you. :(
Sometimes it doesn't take much force to crack a board if you hit it just right, but a cracked board is only one possibility. It's hard to diagnose something when you can't put your hands on it and inspect it. Consider this. It's a brand new amp for you and maybe you don't have the settings correct or you are standing too close and facing the amp when you strum those chords. Maybe you didn't damage anything right? It's possible. Never assume anything until you prove it out. So head down to the store and plug into a new (undamaged amp). here is a simple definition of feedback.......
a small part of the signal from the amplifier output being sent back to the input of the amplifier. This signal is amplified and again sent back to the input where it is amplified again.
So if you face the amp and strum at high volume the speaker will "inject" the sound into your guitar strings or pickups and send it right back into the amp causing a "feedback effect". Maybe all you need to do is get used to this amp and adjust the settings. (I'm not sure what your experience is with guitar amps). Keep me posted on this....
Phip
Ozzfan486  
13 Aug 2009 09:51 | Quote
United States
I want to take it to him, and have him look at it but my dad doesn't want to let anyone know about it. I'm guessing for re-sale issues, but anyone with two eyes could tell it's muffed up. What I'm worrying about is, WILL THIS MAKE IT WORSE? What he wants to do is carefully push the bulging wood back from bulging on the inside and straighten it out on both sides I guess. For example it's somewhat like this...> [thats a bit dramatic but you get the point] and make it like this...|
Oh and I tryed the distance thing yesterday. I stood probably 12-15 ft. away and it still did it.

Ozz
Phip  
13 Aug 2009 10:11 | Quote
United States
hmmm sounds like your dad is thinking about returning it as "defective" equipment. that could be a bit difficult but you gotta follow his lead (especially if he paid for it). haha
as far as making it worse? shoot man, it's already broke! You kinda either got to fix it or try to return it and when they refuse to take it back, you're back to fixing it again as your last option or cut your losses and buy another one. (the only hope he has is to convince them that it was damaged in shipping) but if you had it open in the store that is going to be the end of that discussion! My guess is that sooner or later you are going to have to have someone diagnose it.
Phip
Ozzfan486  
13 Aug 2009 10:15 | Quote
United States
He only helped me out. I paid 200 [I had 100 and traded my Crate] and I just own him 70 bucks. And yes......I bought it open in the store. lol. Wonderful. Now I'm in dept to pay for a piece of **** just to save up for another piece of ****. Although, If I can't do anything for it I'll save up for a new amp, and maybe buy another circut board and make a "Horton" amp with the two speakers in this one lol.
Phip  
13 Aug 2009 10:48 | Quote
United States
Ok, well DON'T PANIC!!!
the way i see it, you have nothing to lose by having someone (who knows what they are doing) look at it. Could be just something simple. So my opinion is to let someone open it up and take a look.
Phipster
Ozzfan486  
13 Aug 2009 11:01 | Quote
United States
Okay man. Thanks for all the help!
Phip  
13 Aug 2009 11:27 | Quote
United States
Yeah, sorry I can't do more for ya.
Phip
Ozzfan486  
13 Aug 2009 18:40 | Quote
United States
OKAY!! My dad is going to fix the hole. I called the guy I bought it from and he said the hole/bulge/ding/ whatever has nothing to do with it. So I messed around with the settings more and it turns out I just had to much reverb lol. Thanks god!

Ozz
Phip  
13 Aug 2009 18:51 | Quote
United States
You are quite welcome!
God
Ozzfan486  
13 Aug 2009 18:57 | Quote
United States
Hahaha.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.