Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Amps, Line6 modeling combo, Fender Frontman series,Crate Flexwave

Instruments and Gear
SouthernGuy82  
27 May 2008 10:46 | Quote
United States
Which should I buy? which ever one I choose I will get the bigger combo, 100 or more watts.
Veqq  
27 May 2008 10:52 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 5
I haven't used any but the fender front man... And it sucks...

If your going to gig with it I would say don't use the Modeling amp since I've heard mad things about gigging with one...

Never heard of the Flew Wave though...
SouthernGuy82  
27 May 2008 10:54 | Quote
United States
Doz  
27 May 2008 12:32 | Quote
United Kingdom
You got the specific models on the Line 6 amps? I'll give my input after.
blackholesun  
27 May 2008 12:34 | Quote
United Kingdom
Licks: 1
If you play at home then 100W is pretty damn loud.
SouthernGuy82  
27 May 2008 12:34 | Quote
United States
120 line 6 combo, fender 212 frontman, and the 120 watt crate flexwave series combo.
Doz  
27 May 2008 12:35 | Quote
United Kingdom
See, what I'm asking is the specific Line 6 combo. There are different types. Vetta, Flextone, Spider etc.
SouthernGuy82  
27 May 2008 12:36 | Quote
United States
SouthernGuy82  
27 May 2008 12:36 | Quote
United States
Doz  
27 May 2008 12:37 | Quote
United Kingdom
You can edit your last post in a thread by the way.

I'd say avoid both the Spider and the Frontman. I haven't really heard or had experience with the Crate though. A better idea to find our opinions is to maybe give us your price range, the styles of music you play and what you'll be using it for - then we can try and give you some good suggestions.
SouthernGuy82  
27 May 2008 12:39 | Quote
United States
400$ at the most. I play a Dean Cadi-x with active emgs. I play Metallica, staind, eagles, 3 doors down, lynard skynard, but mostly Metallica. I have pnly been playing for 2 and a half years so I dont play alot of lead yet. But I plan on buying a pod 2.0 so I need something pretty compatable with it.
Doz  
27 May 2008 12:54 | Quote
United Kingdom
You're going to find a lot of solid state amps (like all those you listed) won't be absolutely great with pedals, and I guess with the pod either. You're also not going to need it to be over 100 watts.

The best suggestion I can make, taking into account the music you'll be playing, is the Roland Cube 60. I have both the Cube 30, a Line 6 Spider and a smaller Fender Frontman and the Cube beats them all for sound quality, fullness of sound and general modelling. It's a good example of a good solid state amp and the 60 watt version will be loud enough for whatever you need it for (my 30 watt version is just about loud enough to keep up with a band, but go with the 60 to give yourself a bit of space). On top of this, they are known to excel in heavier and more overdriven sounds (they have a classic stack, metal setting and a rectifier setting that should be all you need, aswell as some more amp models). They have a few effects for you to mess around with aswell (which sound way better than the Line 6 Spider effects).

I'm pretty sure you could get one of those for quite a bit cheaper than $400, and a better amp. I can't really speak for the Crate you mentioned though, but I've heard bad things about cheaper Crate amps.
SouthernGuy82  
27 May 2008 13:03 | Quote
United States
Hey man thanks for the suggestion, I never thought about a Roland Cube but my peavy is the only amp I have owned and it sucks. I always thought if you pay alot you get alot and if you dont you get screwed. My goal was actually to buy line 6 for all the effects, and it seems there is alot that can screw up on the line 6. Sounds like the Roland Cube is what I need. Again thanks. One more question, what about Vox amps?
Doz  
27 May 2008 13:12 | Quote
United Kingdom
The Line 6 sure does have a lot of models and effects, but a they put quantity over quality. The quality of effects is low, they just don't sound very good and in general the amp is very thin sounding. Not to mention awful when cranked.

As for the Vox... for around the price range you're in I suppose we're thinking the Vox Valvetronix. A good amp with a reputation as good as the Roland Cube - *but* - for the bands and styles you listed it's not as suited as the Cube. It does some things better than the Cube but will never get you a good Metallica sound (or other heavier sounds). For stuff like the Eagles and Lynyrd Skynyrd both the Cube and the Valvetronix are probably about equal, maybe the Cube sounding thicker and fuller.

So yeah, a good amp but I don't think it'll be for you. Maybe you should try both the Cube and the Valvetronix out sometime though before you decide.
SouthernGuy82  
27 May 2008 13:18 | Quote
United States
Well I got on youtube and looked at some vids on the Cube and you are right. That amp is what I need and its not to bad on the pocket. I was really impressed by the effects it had, they sound amazing. The kicker for me was the acoustic setting which is the shit. Hey man thanks for the info again and I believe ill just buy the Cube and be happy. I can always send it back but I dont think that will happen. You know the odd thing is I dont hear anyone in my town talking about Roland cubes, I guess its what I call a sleeper amp. Everything is either Marshal or fender, ocasionally a crate. Peace out dude!
Doz  
27 May 2008 13:25 | Quote
United Kingdom
Yeah, sometimes you just have to look a bit more to find good amps. It's not all about Marshall and Fender, afterall they both make sub standard amps.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.