Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

How Well do you learn scales and Keys?

Poll
Only registered users can vote and see results!

telecrater  
29 Jul 2008 20:43 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
So it seems like a slow post day on the forum so I thought I would throw this out there. I care across this Jazz guitar playing site http://www.jazzguitarstartingright.com

It really seems to be a different approach to playing the guitar and jazz. I would love to play Jazz guitar.

I ran across this page talking about mastering one key before moving on to any others.

"It’s best to stick with one Key Position until you gain some facility with it before you
move on to the others. The experience and insight you gain from fully exploring the first one will
make the others much easier to learn. The word is “dig in”, and don’t spread yourself too thin."

Ok so here is my point (Bet you didn't think I had one) so how many of you really master a key or scale before moving on to something else? I have been really digging into a key of C (figured i should start there). I was going to jump to the key of G next but may dwell in C some more.

whatcha' ya'll think (talking like a real texan now)

GRX40  
29 Jul 2008 22:35 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
I haven't really gotten into keys or scales, even though I know I should. I'll probably start with Key of C, and learn it all over the fretboard and learn the main chords (I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, VIIdim), then start learning Modes and scales in the key of C as well.

I haven't mastered any keys yet, so I may as well start here!
Skold  
29 Jul 2008 23:02 | Quote
United States
Uhh.....I CAN PLAY POWER CHORDS!
Crunch  
30 Jul 2008 12:18 | Quote
United States
My actual music theory knowledge is really fuzzy. I know bits and pieces and try to glue them together with feel. As I've started playing more (done with roofing for the summer, thank God!), I can do this fairly easily. Sometimes I'll be going through a lick/riff/song that I've put together using CAGED or DAF ideas and I end thinking "Oh shit, what do I do now" and I try to base the next notes off of how the last few sounded. It's kind of weird and very unscientific, but you get used to it I guess.
kellenman  
30 Jul 2008 15:40 | Quote
United States
i mastered C major blues scale (i heard somewhere that the blues is a good place to start) and currently learning G major scale to help with a song im writing thats in the key of G.
GuitarBoy666  
30 Jul 2008 15:41 | Quote
Canada
I hardly know anything about any of it :P
kellenman  
30 Jul 2008 15:46 | Quote
United States
GuitarBoy666 says:
I hardly know anything about any of it :P
i dont know much about it either but it seems that the more you practice scales the better your music theory knowledge gets without having to study too hard to understand it (this is the case for me atleast)
GuitarBoy666  
30 Jul 2008 18:09 | Quote
Canada
^ Me too, actually. Plsus when you know your scales you can write better solos and riffs to go along with your tunes.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.