Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Can someone teach me about sweep picking?

Songwriting
GuitarBoy666  
19 May 2008 14:03 | Quote
Canada
How do you do it? I know it sounds awesome and I really wanna try doing some sweeping. Where do I start? What's the trick/technique?

I looked at the lessons but it doesn't make sense to me..
I can play guitar but when it comes to theory and really technical stuff, I suck
Veqq  
19 May 2008 14:59 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 5
Well... Basiclly, play it like a chord really slowly. And right before you sound a note in a chord pull the finger off the one played before. It will take a long time...

And no trick, just lots of practice... I would point you to my lesson but you didn't get it so...

This video was the best one I thought.
GuitarBoy666  
19 May 2008 15:25 | Quote
Canada
Holy hell that guy is good.
I understand what sweeping is now. Now I just reaaaaaaaaaally gotta practice HARD. Thanks dude
Doz  
19 May 2008 15:46 | Quote
United Kingdom
Start with simple major and minor arpeggios and then you can sort of edit them and work on your own patterns once you get the basics down and a good sweeping motion.
GuitarBoy666  
19 May 2008 18:30 | Quote
Canada
I can do a C Maj. Arpeggio in 12th pos. pretty clean. I did it within the first 45 mins. too. What are some good arpeggios to practice while learning to sweep?
Skold  
19 May 2008 19:01 | Quote
United States
To be honest, I never knew what sweep picking was. So what's the point of it? Like, what is it supposed to help you do?
GuitarBoy666  
19 May 2008 19:13 | Quote
Canada
Skold, did you watch the vid up there?
Sweeping is the fast picking of an arpeggio, it gives you this really awesome sound and it is used in a lot of heavy metal. When you sweep, you cant have 2 notes ringing at the same time. You need to take yer finger off the string as soon as you play it. You have to push and pull the pick down and up the strings, and you have to keep the same speed while doing it.

I'm pretty sure that's about right. I am brand new to this and this is what I got out of the video. It's kinda hard in my opinion especially at first.
Veqq  
19 May 2008 19:42 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 5
It's right. :)
It basically lets you play really really fast once you get it down, it's really economical.

The best shape to play is the C Major I'd say. It's just so awesome. In reality though, just make random arpeggios and play them, thats the way to get used to everything. :)
Doz  
19 May 2008 20:20 | Quote
United Kingdom
Guitarboy got it pretty much right. And asking what sweep picking is supposed to help you do is like asking what hammers ons are supposed to help you do. It's just another guitar technique you can use as you wish (just a more advanced one).
GuitarBoy666  
19 May 2008 20:31 | Quote
Canada
Wow, a noob got something right.. lol.

The C Maj is pretty fun to play, it's quite easy to this after practicing for a few hours. I can do some of these arpeggios pretty clean, not very fast but pretty clean and not extremely slow.

Good thing I found this site, I've learned a lot.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.