Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Melodic Intervals

by MoshZilla1016

Votes 5 | Rating 4

This lick uses Melodic 1st-5th intervals for the descending part. Then shifts to 1st-3rd intervals for the ascending. Notice the 1st-3rd intervals use a diatonic pattern but starts from the 5th diatonic position giving a Mixolydian feel. This lick is in the key of C.

5ths 3rds
e-8---5----------+----------------+----------------+---------------------+
B---8---5-8---5--+----------------+----------------+---------------------+
G-----------7---5+-7---5----------+----------------+---------------------+
D----------------+---7---5-7---5--+---2---3---5---7+----8----10----12-14-+
A----------------+-----------7---5+-3---5---7---8--+-10---12----13----15-+
E----------------+----------------+----------------+---------------------+

Comments:

V3N0M3333

i thought it was Maj min min Maj Maj min Dim Maj??

im not a theory buff so i dont know...just askin

MoshZilla1016

You're right. I didn't mention the Diminished since I used the 1st and 3rd only for that part of the lick. No 5th = No Diminished

V3N0M3333

ahhh i see...ok thanks dude +1

JazzMaverick

Whoa Mosh...

5 is not diminished... the 7th position is.

5th is Mixolydian. NO 5th = No mixolydian.

Diatonic refers to a key only. You've chosen the key of C Major for the first two bars, no sharps or flats.In this scale the fifth is G - Mixolydian, 1st is C Ionian, 3rd is E Phrygian.

No matter what, there is a diminished in the scale!! Even if you're not using it for this lick.

Maj, min, min, Maj, Maj, min, Diminished. The 7th note in the scale (in this key that's B) will naturally be a diminished unless you had either accidentals or changed the scale entirely, however, you haven't.

No 5th = no Mixolydian. But that's not the case here.

The case is No 7th = no diminished.

What you're playing (exactly note for note; for the first two bars) is...

|| C, G, A, E, G, D, E, C || D, A, C, G, A, E, G, D ||
|| 1, 5, 6, 3, 5, 2, 3, 1 || 2, 6, 1, 5, 6, 3, 5, 2 ||

You're moving by 5ths, yes, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't hit a diminished - it just depends on the note you start with.

Now the next set of bars...

(If C Major)
|| C, E, D, F#... E, G, F, A || G, A#,.. A, C, A#.., D, E & C (14 & 15th fret)
|| 1, 3, 2, (#4), 3, 5, 4, 6 || 5, (#4)., 4, 1, (#4), 2, 3 & 1
(If C Mixolydian)
|| 5, 7, 6, (LN), 7, 2, 1, 3 || 2, (#3).. 3, 5, (#3).., 6, 7 & 5

You've changed the diatonic entirely, because you're playing on the 4th fret on the D string - this results in a F sharp / G flat. And again the 8th & 13th fret on the A string results in an A sharp.

It does not start on the 5th position of the diatonic - it starts on the 1st. Again... Diatonic just means Key - you've already stated this is the key of C - therefor this isn't the 5th position of the diatonic and if you are implying that the 5th is then C then it is in the key of C Mixolydian - but again - there is only an A# and not an F# in the C mixolydian scale - the F is the root of the C mixolydian, if it was F# then it's 5th would be C#.

Again - if this diatonic is C Mixolydian (the fifth) - then THERE IS A DIMINISHED BEING USED!!

You've just told Venom something that isn't true, as I'm sure you have for a few others who may have already seen this lick. And you have completely forgotten to explain that there are accidentals / leading notes in this lick. You need to explain this in every detail and for each lick you write otherwise people will have no idea what the hell is going on.

"If you can't explain in simply, you don't know it well enough." - Albert Einstein.

Don't teach people the wrong thing if you've only just started learning it yourself.

MoshZilla1016

When I said no 5th = no diminished I was referring to the 7th chord of the diatonic. I figured if I played the 1st and 3rd note only it was not considered Dim( 1, b3, b5 = Dim---- 1, b3, no b5 = no Dim. So I have removed the confusion from the explanation. Also the F#(4th fret D string) was a mistake. Should have been 3rd fret. Please delete this and any other lick I have posted that may be considered wrong. You won't see mistakes like this in the future.

V3N0M3333

well dam jazz you sure know a lot...thanks for this little lesson on theory :)

MoshZilla1016

I still don't understand how to get a Diminished with just a root and b3rd?

V3N0M3333

yea, me either....if you even play a 5th in the 1st place....do you even consider playing a 7th (root, 3rd, 7th?????)

but at the same time i understand what jazz was saying

Guest access is read-only. To write comment, please login!

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.