Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42

Syntax

by Guitarslinger124

20 Dec 2009
Views: 14878

For those who know a little about syntax, disregard this. This is going to be as simple as it gets.

So I've been frequenting the lick section of this site recently and I've noticed, as I'm sure many of you have as well, that a lot of folks do not know how to use the most common syntax on this site. So I'll do my best to explain how to create proper

tabs,
bold words, italics, underline and

headings

There are five tag lines you need to know.

They are:
tab - for creating tabs
b - for making characters bold
i - for italics
u - for underline
h - for heading

Each tag must be place inside brackets. For example, if the letter "o" was a tag line, you would place it inside brackets like so, [o].

Each tag line needs a open and a close to tell the website when to start the desired action and when to end the desired action. For example, if "o" was a tag line for making characters really big, you would type, [o]I WANT THESE LETTERS TO BE BIG[/o].

Note the forward slash, "/" before the "o" in the ending part of the tag line. The forward slash tells the website you want to end the tag line "o".

So, getting to the point, if you want to type a tab, here is how you would do it.

You would type "[" then the word "tab" then "]". After you are finished typing your tab, you would type "[" then "/" then the word "tab" and finally, "]".

Your end product should look like so,

e:----
B:----
G:----
D:----
A:----
E:----

The same thing applies with using the bold tag line (b). Bold characters will look like this.

Characters in italics will look like this.

Underlined characters will look like this.

Headings will look like this.

Once more, (and do not include the spaces!)
for tab type. [ tab ] your tab here [ / tab ].
for bold - [ b ] BOLD [ / b ]
for italics - [ i ] Italic [ / i ]
for underline - [ u ] Underline [ / u ]
for headings - [ h ]

Heading

[ / h ]

Not sure how I could make this any simpler. Hope this helps people out. If you still do not understand just let me know and I'll try to explain it better.

ROCK ON!

So I thought I would go ahead and give a quick example of some very basic HTML stuff.

Here is a little practice document I typed up earlier this morning. If you download an HTML editor like Notepad++ or Evrsoft First Page (Download), you can create the following script or create your own.
Anyway, here it is.

Untitled

This is my first heading.

This is my second heading.

This my first paragraph

This containssubscript and also super script which is

awesome.

This is bold text.
This text is in italics

This text is underlined

This text is big.
This text is small.

This is what computer output looks like.

This will allow the browser to show exactly what I am typing. 

Example: 1 + 5 = 6. Or two spaces, like so.

Link to one of my websites.

This is what you type on your keyboard.

This is what your computer sees.

This is teletype text.

This is sample text.

This demonstrates a computer variable.

CMR 467

Box #211

APO, AE

When you hold your mouse pointer over the acronym it will show you the
full word/s

USA

This is trippy

A block quote or long quote:

This is going to a very quote about absolutely

nothing at all

A short quote:

Hey there Jeff!

This word.
This word.

This is heading 1

The heading above is aligned to the center of this page.

Now here is what the syntax looks like:

<br /> <html> <br /> <head> <br /> <title>Untitled</title> <br /> </head> <br /> <br /> <body> <br /> <h1>This is my first heading.</h1> <br /> <br /> <br /> <h2>This is my second heading.</h2> <br /> <br /> <br /> <p>This my first paragraph</p> <br /> <br /> <br /> This contains<sub>subscript</sub> and also <sup>super script</sup> which is <br /> <br /> awesome. <br /> <br /> <b>This is bold text.</b><br /><i>This text is in italics</i><br /> <br /> <u>This text is underlined</u><br /><!This will not show up> <br /> <big>This text is big.</big><br /><small> This text is small.</small> <br /> <br /><code>This is what computer output looks like.</code><br /> <br /> <!BLAH BLAH BLAH><br/ > <br /> <br /> <br /> <pre>This will allow the browser to show exactly what I am typing. <br /> <br /> Example: 1 + 5 = 6. Or two spaces, like so.</pre><br /> <br /> <a href="http//www.myspace.com/lanny124">Link to one of my websites.</a> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <kbd>This is what you type on your keyboard.</kbd><br /> <br /> <code>This is what your computer sees.</code><br /> <br /> <tt>This is teletype text.</tt><br /> <br /> <samp>This is sample text.</samp><br /> <br /> <var>This demonstrates a computer variable.</var><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <!The following is my address> <br /> <address>CMR 467<br /> <br /> Box #211<br /> <br /> APO, AE<br /> <br /> 09096</address><br /><br /> <br /> <!This is pretty fucking cool><br /> <br /> <!When you hold your mouse pointer over the acronym it will show you the <br /> full word/s> <br /> <br /> <abbr title="United State of America">USA</abbr><br /> <br /> <acronym title="World Wide Web">WWW</acronym><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <!This is trippy:> <br /> <bdo dir="rtl">This is trippy</bdo><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <p>A block quote or long quote:</p> <br /> <blockquote>This is going to a very quote about absolutely<br /> <br />nothing at all</blockquote> <br /> <p>A short quote:</p> <br /> <q>Hey there Jeff!</q><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <s>This word.</s><br /><ins>This word.</ins> <br /> <body style="background-color:yellow"> <br /> <br /> <br /> <h1 style="text-align:center">This is heading 1</h1> <br /> <br /> <p> <br /> The heading above is aligned to the center of this page.</p><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> </body> <br /> </html> <br />

Go ahead and look through the syntax if want. I just this would be helpful to show you guys.

Comments:

KicknGuitar

What are ya trying to up your lesson count?!
She looks like a good one, despite the lack of music...

Guitarslinger124

Nope; I don't feel the need to "up my lesson count". I stated in the beginning of the lesson that this was to help people understand the syntax for tabs and other features of THIS site. So, while you are right, this lesson does not contain anything related to music, it does contain material relevant to this site.

KicknGuitar

Slinger! You must have thought, "this guy can't be serious," C'mon! Of course it's a legit lesson, I was only busting your balls.

If I wanted to be serious I could tell ya to fix that last sentence...
;-)

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.