Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

United States
Lessons: 4
Progressions with Open Chords

by shawn7656

27 Mar 2009
Views: 52879

This is yet another lesson that someone requested.

Open chord progressions are pretty simple, you just gotta play chords that sound good together.

I can list a few but its hard when im not sure which genre of music i should be listing progressions for...

Am G F G
e|----------0-----------3--------------1---------------3------------------------------|
B|----------1-----------0--------------1---------------0------------------------------|
G|----------2-----------0--------------2---------------0------------------------------|
D|----------2-----------0--------------3---------------0------------------------------|
A|----------0-----------2--------------X---------------2------------------------------|
E|----------0-----------3--------------X---------------3------------------------------|

The above is a very versatile and pretty popular progression, and can be used a number of ways.

Am E G D
e|---------0------------0-----------3----------2------------------------------------|
B|---------1------------0-----------0----------3------------------------------------|
G|---------2------------1-----------0----------2------------------------------------|
D|---------2------------2-----------0----------0------------------------------------|
A|---------0------------2-----------2----------X------------------------------------|
E|---------0------------0-----------3----------X------------------------------------|

the above is fun and has a lot of possibility to make a lot of variations with..

Am C G D F E
e|---------0----------0--------------3------------2-----------1----------0--------------|
B|---------1----------1--------------0------------3-----------1----------0--------------|
G|---------2----------0--------------0------------2-----------2----------1--------------|
D|---------2----------2--------------0------------0-----------3----------2--------------|
A|---------0----------3--------------2------------X-----------X----------2--------------|
E|---------0----------0--------------3------------X-----------X----------0--------------|
**play F and E half the amount of time you do the other chords**

that one is fun to play...(sorry, i like Am a lot, lol)

Dm F C G
e|--------1--------------1----------------0---------------3---------------------------|
B|--------3--------------1----------------1---------------0---------------------------|
G|--------2--------------2----------------0---------------0---------------------------|
D|--------0--------------3----------------2---------------0---------------------------|
A|--------X--------------X----------------3---------------2---------------------------|
E|--------X--------------X----------------0---------------3---------------------------|

These are four different progressions that i really like to play.
I hope these give you some ideas, and remember, the possibilities are endless

(lesson request)

"open chord progressions
by veganinme

yes yes "

Comments:

Damien

Thank you I love the sound of the second one!

JustJeff

Maybe you should talk about why these progressions work... Help people branch out to creating their own progressions.

From this, you are just showing people progressions you've learned: doesn't help anyone understand how you developed them.

carlsnow

just noticed C shows an open E, as does Am... just a heads up ;~)

C[i]s[/i]

JustJeff

You can play an E in those progressions. They work. :)

Letsrock

Good lesson thanks. The F is pretty hard for a newbie, I'll have to practice that.....

JustJeff

You can fret the F chord as x3321x and you'll be fine, if it is giving you that much trouble.

raptorclaws

Good lesson:

Your progression: Am, C, G, D, F, E, is one that I use in 'easy feeling' Flamenco.

Re the 'F'...I like to use the small version after a D chord...but the bar version if after the G. The 'fullness' F of the bar chord is better suited after the 'fullness' of the G. ....and because an 'E' is relatively easy to make it can be better controlled to suit the impact of the type of F chord that precedes it.

deathrash

You are right, Am is the most beautiful of the simple chords there is. Of course there is also stuff like diminished 7-9 chords with open string on a higher position, but hell.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.