Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

United States
Lessons: 4
Warm-up/Finger Strength Builder

by shawn7656

26 Mar 2009
Views: 16733

This is a simple warm-up you can play to build finger strength and get used to using your pinkie (a good guitar player becomes a great guitar player as soon as they throw in the pinkie!!).

play this with only your pointer finger, once you move down a fret play with your pointer finger and your middle finger

e|-----------01-1-0--------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------01-----1-0------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|-------01----------1-0---------------------------------------------------------------|
D|-----01---------------1-0------------------------------------------------------------|
A|---01--------------------1-0---------------------------------------------------------|
E|-01-------------------------1-0------------------------------------------------------|

Play this up and down the neck going from there all the way up until the 12th fret, instead of playing the open you just start playing like this:

play 1st fret then 2nd fret, not 12th fret, going back its 2nd then 1st, not 21st. i just had to clarify that really quick

e|-----------12-21--------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------12-----21------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|-------12---------21----------------------------------------------------------------|
D|-----12-------------21--------------------------------------------------------------|
A|---12-----------------21------------------------------------------------------------|
E|-12---------------------21----------------------------------------------------------|

Once you go all the way down to the 12th fret, go all the way back up doing the same thing. Once you're done doing that, add your ring finger like so (using the same technique up and down the neck like before):

e|----------------012-210---------------------------------------------------------------|
B|-------------012-------210------------------------------------------------------------|
G|----------012-------------210---------------------------------------------------------|
D|-------012-------------------210------------------------------------------------------|
A|----012-------------------------210---------------------------------------------------|
E|-012-------------------------------210------------------------------------------------|

this is where you integrate your ring finger into the warm-up.
e|-----------------123-321--------------------------------------------------------------|
B|--------------123-------321-----------------------------------------------------------|
G|-----------123-------------321--------------------------------------------------------|
D|--------123-------------------321-----------------------------------------------------|
A|-----123-------------------------321--------------------------------------------------|
E|--123-------------------------------321-----------------------------------------------|

then you add your pinkie finger to it by playing this:

e|----------------------0123-3210---------------------------------------------------------|
B|------------------0123---------3210-----------------------------------------------------|
G|--------------0123-----------------3210-------------------------------------------------|
D|----------0123-------------------------3210---------------------------------------------|
A|------0123---------------------------------3210-----------------------------------------|
E|--0123-----------------------------------------3210-------------------------------------|

then play
e|---------------------1234-4321----------------------------------------------------------|
B|-----------------1234---------4321------------------------------------------------------|
G|-------------1234-----------------4321--------------------------------------------------|
D|---------1234-------------------------4321----------------------------------------------|
A|-----1234---------------------------------4321------------------------------------------|
E|-1234-----------------------------------------4321--------------------------------------|

REMEMBER YOU ARE PLAYING ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE 12TH FRET, NOT JUST TO WHERE I TABBED!!

I would definitely tab out all of it if i had about three hours to waste doing it, but you play the exact same thing i tabbed out, you are just moving up the neck (getting higher) one fret every time, going from first fret (technically the zero fret because youre playing open first) all the way down to the 12th fret and back up to the zero.

you can also change it up and play stuff like these in order to gain strength with different fingers, and you can also go past the 12th fret, or not all the way there if its too tiring.

e|-----------03-30------------------------02-20-------------------------------------------|
B|---------03-----30--------------------02-----20-----------------------------------------|
G|-------03---------30----------------02---------20---------------------------------------|
D|-----03-------------30------------02-------------20-------------------------------------|
A|---03-----------------30--------02-----------------20-----------------------------------|
E|-03---------------------30----02---------------------20---------------------------------|

e|-----------------023-320--------------------------------------------------------------|
B|--------------023-------320-----------------------------------------------------------|
G|-----------023-------------320--------------------------------------------------------|
D|--------023-------------------320-----------------------------------------------------|
A|-----023-------------------------320--------------------------------------------------|
E|--023-------------------------------320-----------------------------------------------|

This is a pretty simple exercise, and i tried to go into as much detail as i possibly could.

If you have questions, contact me on here, on myspace (myspace.com/shawn126), or through e-mail (shawn7656@yahoo.com)

Comments:

sunilrajkumar

hi i don't know how to read the tabs... will you help me with this... please

BodomBeachTerror

theres a lesson on reading tabs on here somewhere

Malikhi

two things, Tabs is easy once you know which wayt he lines go, the top line is the skinny E string, the bottm the Fat low E string. the numbers refer to the fret. simple really.

another good ring-pinky finger exercise that this lesson actually inspired me to try is to go through this lessons first two examples using only you ring and pinky fingure, amazing workout if your a newer player. also works on timing with those two fingures, it's great, give it a shot, thanks man for all the help.

nocomposer

i can play that with my pinky finger

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.