i know some of the "rules" like...
in major scales one uses usualy:
triads: I ii iii IV V vi vii-dim
7th: I-maj7 ii-m7 iii-m7 IV-maj7 V-7 vi-m7 vii-m7b5
6th: I-6 ii-m6 IV-6 V-6
9th: I-maj9 ii-m9 IV-maj9 V-9 vi-m9

in minor:
triads: i-m ii-dim III iv-m v-m VI VII

my question now is if there are more than these patterns(if there are i'd like to know them!at least the most important ones), because i saw songs of which the progression chords are like:
I-7 IV-7 V-7 or
I IV V-7 or
i-m7 VII...

is it allowed or even common to mix the diffrerent "progression-patterns" and/or add chords which aren't usually used with a certain scale? other important rules for chord progression?
i hope some1's able to help me.
thnx sophie
sophie  
12 Mar 2006 10:22 | Quote
POST 2:
oh, i forgot to ask about the different scales/modes...:
if one compares the-->

ionian scale in C
dorian " " D
phrygian " " E
lydian " " F
Myxolidian " " G
Aeolian " " A
locrian " " B

...they'are al based on the same notes-->

c d e f g a b
d e f g a b c
e f g a b c d
f g a b c d e
g a b c d e f
a b c d e f g
b c d e f g a
..the only difference is the root-note.

does that mean that one uses also the same chords for progression?
if that's not the case which chords do we use then(is there a formula like the ones i wrote down in the first post)?
Moonlit  
2 May 2006 23:07 | Quote
United States
As you stated, the modes are the same notes, they just have a different root note. In modal playing, you have to choose chords that resolve to the specific root note of the mode you are trying to use. If you pick a mode I can help you further.

There are specific notes that give the "sound" of each of the modes when they are emphasized.
macr0  
30 May 2006 03:21 | Quote
I'm just a beginner, so I hope all of this is right.

If you take the modes and then put the triads on there, then you have a nice match up.

ionian Cmaj
dorian Dmin
phrygian Emin
lydian Fmaj
Myxolidian Gmaj
Aeolian Amin
locrian Bdim

Those are chords matched up against the modes. So in a way, phrygian can be called a "minor mode" for example.

So if you were playing in the key of C and an Em chord was your tonal center (the most common chord), then you can play the phrygian mode, which just means that you use the E as your "home" when playing all of the notes in the key of C.

Any of the chords from the C triad will work, but which ones you emphasis will determine which modes to bring to life.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.