Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

United States
Lessons: 2

Basic strumming

by future_god_of_the_axe

2 Dec 2008
Views: 18937

Once you get strumming down, your set for life. the way i strum chords and notes seems to be the most effective. when i see or hear alot of ameatures strum, it sounds choppy and overpushed. im going to tell you how to strum smoothly and professionally while protecting your guitar from scratches.

Now, if your strumming with your hand, all you have to do is only use two fingers: your thumb and your middle finger. as you come down for your first strum, GENTLY glide your middle finger nail on the top of the strings while still maintaining speed. as you finish your first strum, your thumb should already be at the bottom of the strings, you then glide your thumb nail UP on top of the strings.NOTE: you barely have to move your hand at all with this type of strumming. then continue to repeat. this is a good technique because you can control the volume and intensity of your strum simply by how hard you glide your fingers.

With pick strumming, its almost the exact same thing. here is a diagram of how to pick strum.

-------> -direction of strum
/ -pick position
=======

<-------
\
=======

Notice how the pick is beign slanted at each strum to provide leats resistance to the strings.

If you have ANY questions, please send me a private message.

-Zach A.K.A. future_god_of_the_axe

Request:

Basic Strumming

by shaheed1992

Im having difficulties in strumming,
and I dont know how to read note because when i searched about strumming all the results showed a bunch of notes...
could somebody teach me the basic strumming without using notes?

Comments:

pEEdhu

Nice Lesson,........................... :)

guitarmastergod

this is helpful for beginers, good lesson

krzykat

what are some examples of strumming patterns for the different time signatures? if you could give a couple examples for each it would be great!
4/4
3/4
2/4

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.